Thursday, December 31, 2009

Coming out of the holding pattern for 2010

As 2009 is coming to a close, I had started to listen to and read commentaries on New Year's Resolutions and goal setting for the new year. I think at the end of the year, it is only natural for everybody to make plans for a better New Year.

I don't really like the idea of New Years Resolutions. They are percieved more as "wishes" than real directives and goals. In the month of December, I had come up with four areas of my life that needed immediate attention. I referred to them as focus points. The focus points involved my spirituality, health, financial status, and home-life improvement. I tried to come up with goals that were SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time-bound). I'm doing pretty good.

God always makes sure that I have the right people in my life at the right time! As you may know, I am a conversationalist and always engaged. LOL. Anyway, all of the conversations with my soul sister friends prompted my spirit to recognize that I was in a holding pattern.

If you google "holding pattern", you will come across a wikipedia (you know I love wikipedia) entry describing it in relation to aircraft and flying. When there are issues on the ground, bad weather, traffic congestion, other emergencies..etc. the control tower uses a holding pattern to delay an incoming plane from landing at its destination. So the plane or planes will fly around in a circle waiting to land at its destination.

During a conversation with Martha (shout out to you!), I realized that every since I began to regret returning to Michigan I just started waiting. I was waiting for something to happen; waiting to leave; waiting for some magical force to prompt me to MOVE/DO/CHANGE/ADJUST. And during that time, I have been coasting along. I have been finding myself wherever the wind blew me. So for four years, I've been in a holding pattern waiting for air traffic control to tell me that the coast was clear and that I could continue on toward my destination. Four years!!

At the end of 2009, I realized that it was time for me to come out of the holding pattern for 2010!! There will always be issues and distractions on the ground, but I am the air traffic controller. I have to make sure that I am moving with clarity/focus/determination/perservence/tenancity..with unwavering will and focus toward my destination - being the best me in this lifetime!!

There are some things that are not in my control. But how I operate, react and fly on this journey is all up to me. At the end of 2009, I realized that it was time to move forward -For Real-.

I'm on my way. And I wish you a wonderful & successful journey into the New Year!
peace

3 comments:

  1. This is a part of you that has come to a surprise to me but I like it. Being able to express yourself in words in the greatest thing. This peace is so in-tuned with your inner being that it should make every reader look in the mirror and evaluate themselves.

    I have NEVER set new years resolutions because they are meant to be broken after just the first month of the year. Instead I set my goals for the long haul and my setting is always for the center of our galaxy that way if i fall short I will still be amongst the stars.

    It is an amazing thing to take control of your own life and BEING in control of it. God opens the right doors in life that are directed for you. It is up to everyone to not only walk through that door but to walk through it like you own it.

    It is also true that God puts people in your life at the right time for whatever reasons that we can't explain and it's best to not question the reasons why.

    You learn from every person that is put in your life, something. Weather it's a lesson in life that sparks you not to ever involve yourself with that person or persons like that, or weather its a outstanding contribution to make you a better you.

    In any event God brings everyone into our lives and it is up to us who stays and who goes.

    I love this peace and I hope you are doing very well in the four areas that you set fourth for yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment! Peace & Blessings ;)